Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Wisdom from Lord Chesterfield

I read the following quote from Lord Chesterfield the other day:

"I have seen the silly cycle of business and pleasure,
and have no use for any of it. I have enjoyed all the
pleasures of the world, and consequently know their
futility, and do not regret their loss. I appraise
them at their real value, which in truth is very low;
whereas those who lack experience always overrate them.
They only see their gay outside, and are dazzled with
their glare; but I have been behind the scenes. I have
seen all the coarse pulleys and dirty ropes which
exhibit and move the gaudy machine, and I have seen and
smelt the burning lard candles which illuminate the
whole decoration, to the astonishment and admiration of
the ignorant audience. When I reflect on what I have
seen, what I have heard, and what I have done, I cannot
persuade myself that all that frivolous hurried
movement and pleasure of the world had any reality. I
look on all that is past as one of those romantic
dreams which the drug opium can bring about, and I do
by no means wish to repeat the nauseous dose for the
sake of the evading dream."


Just think about that quote for a minute.
It needs no commentary (but I will still give you a couple sentences on how it affected my thinking).

As I let this quote sink in it served as a sobering reminder of my need to constantly arrange & check my motives(sometimes it seems I need hourly reminders). As a young aspiring businessman I want the world...but for what? What is the motive of my/your business success? There is a lot of wisdom to be had from those who have gone before us.

I am sure I speak for most when I say - I want true success...I want lasting success!

Jimmy
The Keyes Company

No comments: